St Patricks day is celebrated each year on the 17th of March. This day is dedicated to the patron saint of Ireland, St Patrick. St Patrick is credited with introducing Christianity to Ireland and helping in spreading the faith. While this day has traditionally observed as a religious feast day by the Catholic Church, St Patricks day has taken on a more secular hue over the years. This day is famous for its parties, parades and drinking fests.
There are many traditions and legends about St Patricks Day that people need to know about, and what better way to learn about your favourite festival than by making these facts fun. St Patricks Day fun facts are a great way of learning more about this amazing festival. You can use these amazing St Patricks Day fun facts to impress your friends with your knowledge about Irish culture and tradition or you can use these fun St Patricks Day facts to play drinking games with friends. These funny facts about St Patricks day are also a great way of entertaining your family when you all sit down for a family dinner.
Here we have some interesting and fun filled St Patricks Day fun facts that you can read about and ask your friends the next time you visit and Irish pub.
St Patricks Day Fun Facts
- In 2011, over 1 million people participated in St. Patrick’s Day Festival in Dublin
- According to the Irish, if a black cat crosses your path in the moonlight, you will die in an epidemic.
- The city of Chicago uses 40 pounds of dye to turn their river green on St. Patrick’s Day.
- If you don’t wear green on St. Patrick’s Day, people will pinch you. It is believed that wearing green made you invisible to leprechauns, who would pinch anyone they could see. Revelers began pinching those who didn’t wear green as a reminder of that belief.
- Over 100 St. Patrick’s Day parades are held across the United States every year
- St. Patrick was not Irish. His Father was Italian, mother was Scottish and he was born in Scotland. His birth name was Maewyn Succat.
- The legend about St Patrick chasing snakes out of Ireland is just a legend.
- There are approximately 36.5 million U.S. residents who claim Irish ancestry. This number is more than eight times the population of Ireland itself.
- On the average day, 5.5 million pints of Guinness are consumed around the world.
- On St Patricks Day more than 13 million pints of Guinness are consumed around the world.
- 9 of the people who signed our Declaration Of Independence were of Irish origin, and 19 Presidents of the United States claim Irish heritage.
- The original Guinness Brewery in Dublin has a 9,000 year lease.
- In Seattle a green stripe is painted down the roads on this day.
- Over 94 million people plan to wear green on St. Patrick’s Day.
- Over 8 million St. Patrick’s Day cards are exchanged in the U, making St Patricks Day the ninth-largest card selling occasion in the US.
- Most people attend mass in the morning and then attend the St. Patrick’s Day parade.
- Over 41.5 billion pounds of beef long with 2.5 billion pounds of cabbage are produced each year for St. Patrick’s Day a.