Ham is the cured leg of pork, the leg of pork is cured either by salting, smoking or immersing the ham in honey or brine. One of the most popular Irish recipes prepared for St. Patricks Day is Limerick ham. Limerick ham is prepared by smoking the leg of pork over juniper leaves and branches. Limerick Ham recipes have been prepared for ages by Irish families during St. Patricks Day. Here we have an amazing traditional Irish Limerick Ham recipe that you can try out this St. Patricks day, this amazing St. Patricks Day recipe is easy to make and tastes delicious.
Limerick Ham Recipe
- 3 lb ham
- 3 cup cider
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 20 – 30 cloves
- Start by taking a large saucepan, place the ham in the pan and cover with water.
- Place the pan on a medium flame and allow to boil.
- Once the water starts boiling, drain out the stock (you can use this stock for other recipes)
- Place the ham back in the pan and pour cider over the ham.
- Place the pan back on the flame and allow to simmer for 60 minutes
- Remove the ham from the pan, remove the skin gently and then score the ham using a sharp knife, making diamond cuts on the ham.
- Place a clove where two cuts intersect.
- Take a small bowl, mix brown sugar and mustard and rub over the ham
- Place the ham on a baking pan and place in the oven to bake at 375 F for 30 to 45 minutes
This amazing limerick ham recipe is just perfect for a main course dish for St. Patricks Day. You can serve this amazing Irish ham recipe along with baked potatoes or potatoes and parsley.