Here we have a great Irish recipe that uses two of the most common foods, bacon and cabbage. This Boiled bacon and cabbage is a traditional Irish recipe that is made during St. Patricks Day celebrations and is a perfect main course dish for a St. Patricks Day lunch. Learn how to make this traditional Irish boiled bacon and cabbage recipe by following this simple recipe given here.
Boiled bacon and Cabbage recipe
- 3 lbs smoked bacon
- 1 large onion
- 6 cloves
- 1 bunch mixed herbs
- 12 carrots
- 2 cabbage
Ingredients for Mustard Sauce
- 150 ml bacon stock
- 150 ml double cream
- 4 tablespoons mustard
- 1/4 cup Chopped parsley
- Start by taking a large saucepan
- Place the bacon in the pan, add onions and herbs(tied) and add water(enough to cover the bacon)
- Allow the water to boil and then lower the flame and allow the bacon to simmer for 45-50 minutes.
- Add carrots and cook for additional 10 minutes
- Remove 1 cup(150 ml) stock and set aside for mustard sauce
- Add cabbage to the pan and cook for additional 20 minutes, or until cabbage is tender
- For the mustard sauce, take a small saucepan
- Add stock, cream and boil
- Add mustard and parsley along with salt and pepper to taste and allow to simmer.
- Remove the sauce and allow to cool for awhile
- Place the bacon on a platter and carve with s sharp knife
- Place cabbage and carrots around the bacon and serve along with mustard sauce
Your amazing Irish boiled bacon and cabbage recipe is ready to be served along with mustard sauce, you can also serve this boiled bacon along with a side of potatoes.